A little while ago, one of my best friends asked me to give a recipe a go for dairy & gluten free brownies, something I have never done before but I thought, why not – challenge accepted! The recipe was easy and the results were pretty good but I figured I could take what I had learnt and step it up a notch to ensure the flavour was the best it could be.
So I have since made these brownies a number of times, trying out different types of sugars and chocolates and seeing what I could add in whilst keeping the consistency of a brownie, and well, here we are!
I, personally, am not dairy or gluten intolerant, but I know numerous people who are and this is a great number to bring to a dinner party, BBQ or to simply enjoy yourself and as I like to think it’s a fairly “healthy” dessert option due to the coconut sugar – everything in moderation ey! What I will say, is that you can sub the coconut sugar for white sugar and soft brown sugar but the texture will be a bit different. Also, I am aware that almond flour isn’t the cheapest of ingredients (I got mine from Holland & Barrett) so I will be trying the same recipe out using ground almonds and seeing the difference (if you try it, feel free to let me know how it goes)!
What you get by adding in the desiccated coconut and the chopped almonds, isn’t just flavour, but that added bit of crunch amongst the gooey mix is just delicious and was exactly what I was hoping for!
A warning also to those looking to buy dairy free chocolate, especially if you’re making this for someone who is dairy intolerant – READ THE LABELS! Not all chocolates will say “suitable for vegans” nor will the dark chocolates be without milk – check the ingredients and if you see MILK in bold anywhere then pick another brand. You can also find the dairy free options in most Free From sections in the big supermarkets.
So what are you waiting for?! Get out there and give this one a go and you will soon find that it is a firm favourite that everyone can enjoy!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Makes 8 large brownies
150g Dairy Free Dark Chocolate
5 Tbsp Coconut Oil
2/3 Cup Coconut Sugar
2/3 Cup Almond Flour
2 Tbsp Desiccated Coconut + extra for topping
2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
1 Tsp Vanilla Paste
½ Tsp Baking Powder
¼ Tsp Salt
100g Dairy Free Chocolate Chips
2 Tbsp Chopped Almonds + extra for topping
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (non-fan) and line a 8×8 baking tin with baking paper.
- In a small saucepan, gently melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil on a low heat until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the coconut sugar and eggs until well combined. To test, lift the whisk up from the mixture and see that it flows down like a ribbon into the bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients except for the chopped almonds and chocolate chips.
- Slowly whisk the egg and sugar mixture into the melted chocolate until smooth. Add the vanilla paste and stir to combine.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and fold to combine – don’t overwork the mixture.
- Fold in the chopped almonds and chocolate chips.
- Pour into the lined baking tin and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle the extra desiccated coconut and chopped almonds evenly on top.
- Bake at 175°C for 20 minutes until the edges are just cooked.
- Leave it to cool completely before slicing (if possible), the middle will continue to cook as it cools and will keep it gooey.